Sunday, January 2, 2022

Good Morning Jan 2, 2022- Frozen Birdbaths this morning

Brrrrr. Clear and Cold this morning at 26F when I got up, and both outer bird baths were frozen solid. Lots of mostly Costas hummingbirds about and at least 2 juveniles. So were the lesser goldfinches. I came inside to get coffee and saw a hawk strike while watching through the window, so of course all the little birds are gone again for awhile. We’re supposed to have several nights of freezing temps so we’ve been checking on the pool pump and the drip system. So far okay. My most vulnerable plants are covered or I’ve brought them inside. Winter it is. Not complaining at all. It’s relatively mild here and I prefer it to our roasting summer heat. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day! - Michele

A Male Lesser Goldfinch in one of the chaste trees this morning
A male Costa's hummingbird in the pomegranate tree this morning
An adult male Costa's hummingbird at one of the other feeders this morning.
I think this is a female Costa's I saw through the window this morning. 
Right afterward, I went outside to check on something and a female Anna's
 (much larger and a little coloration at the throat) buzzed me, 
checked me out in front of my face, and went to this same feeder.
I've noticed that sometimes the hummers feel safer with a 
large creature (human) near the feeders. Bird behavior is so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment