Sunday, January 16, 2022

Good Morning Jan 16, 2022- Another Pretty Pre-Sunrise

Good morning. We had some nice pre-sunrise color again today. Scheduled sunrise was for 6:50 am and the best color happened between 6:30 and 6:35. The visible sunrise from my vantage had the sun peeking over the horizon at 6:59, so we must be a few feet lower than the meteorological center that’s tracking all this. I find this sort of thing interesting. I’ve also noticed some things about the usual local birds. The doves start moving about well before sunrise, as do the hummingbirds, mockingbirds, and of course the hawks. The pigeons and grackles start flying when the sun starts peeking above the horizon, and the little songbirds like house sparrows and finches don’t start arriving till the sun is well above the horizon. I’ve seen very few mockingbirds in our own yard lately, but I see and hear them in the neighbors’ yards. I’ve not seen very many mourning doves lately either, but a couple of collared doves have been nearby regularly making their 2 syllable calls. Right now I have a male hummingbird at the patio feeder sitting very still like he’s in a trance. Ahhhh here come the little songbirds now too, mobbing the feeders, and now it’s time for coffee for me. It’s 38F out there, so a little chilly. Happy Sunday. - Michele



I was wondering what had scared the little birds back up into the
 treetops just now. I think I found the culprit.
The green-eyed kitty was stalking them. 
and then they all came back
A male Costa's Hummingbird at one of the feeders

No comments:

Post a Comment