Friday, February 27, 2015

WHAT I LEARNED FROM MR. SPOCK ABOUT ART

Artwork by Tsuneo Sanda 
Do you remember where you were when that first Star Trek Episode ran on September 8, 1966?

Perhaps you're too young, but I do. I was in the Lanai of my family's house in Hawaii, and very excited.

My older brother and I had argued decidedly with our father for the right to watch this new show. Dad thought Science Fiction was pretty much a waste of time. Of course he had other things on his mind, him being an Army officer and it being the middle of the Vietnam war.

For the next 2 1/2 years my brother and I watched that show with rapt attention. Few shows "transported" me such as this one, and yes that's a pun. Books had done that, but this show, at this time, was painting a very big picture of life that I had never dreamed of before. And then there was that logical character Mr. Spock. I found him a refreshing and funny change from the high emotions of the decade at the time. I simply loved him.

I have long felt that artists are the dreamers that dream future realities that science runs hard to catch up with and produce. Star Trek gave us a picture of many things that have now come into being.  Instant wireless communication, computer tablets, computers in general, and a sense of space and bigness, and living in peace with many types of beings and species. It was a great picture of life and one that only got better with Star Trek the Next Generation. The medium was not paint, but it was a moving and mind stretching weekly panorama. The best of Science and Art for me. I shall miss Leonard and Mr. Spock, as apparently will millions of others.

Keep dreaming those dreams all you artists,  this mission too is ours:

 "...To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before."  
-Michele

Note: Image artwork by Tsuneo Sanda

No comments:

Post a Comment